Skip to main content

"who is the guy upstairs?" An English Story in Short

"who is the guy upstairs?" 


When I was 23 I lived in a house that was over 100 years old in an "up and coming neighborhood" - a.k.a. a kind of scary place to be. My neighbors were nice Mexican drug dealers, and my house was extraordinarily cheap. Three bedrooms, hardwood floors, upper with refurbished attic, $600 per month. For a poor art student, this was amazing. I wanted to stay forever. I put my studio in the attic, we had ridiculous costume parties and made Polish and Mexican food every night.

But my studio was scary. I painted super fast because I could feel someone watching me, and there were always shadows of people in the door. Two months in I stopped going up there, and not very smartly, insulting the presences that were there for interrupting my work. "Stupid ghost...how boring it must be to hang out up there. Leave the house to the living!" (I do not recommend doing that, I did it because I was scared. Never ever ever do that) Things moved around all the time, papers stacked at night would be scattered all over the next morning and all night I could hear someone walking around upstairs even though nobody was there. My boyfriend, my room mates, my friends could hear it. Once, after seeing the giant black shadow standing behind my room mate, I pointed and told it to go away. As my friend and I left the house that afternoon, I tripped and nearly fell down the stairs. I turned around, "Whoa!", laughing, but she was white. "A black hand came out of the stairs."

After that, things got weird around my room. My door constantly opened at night when I closed it. There was knocking on my door. I burned so much sage my wool rug had a permanent stink to it. I had dreams about being murdered all the time, my throat cut. I learned blocking, and began to visualize huge nets of white light around my house. I saw orbs glowing off the back balcony. One night though, I took off all my clothes and lay under my blanket. I was very much in love, and began to think about him when something moved out of the corner of my eye. My bed faced the door, and I lifted my head up and watched it swing all the way open, beyond what any draft would do. I got angry. And then all the blankets were pulled towards the door and completely off the bed by unseen hands.

I didn't even scream I was so scared, I put on a dress, and left the house with a toothbrush and didn't return for two days. I never slept with the lights off again there.

My friend moved in a few years later to that gloriously cheap house, and the second night she texted me "So who is the guy upstairs?"

subscribe inflame story website for more English motivational short stories with moral

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ghost Footballer

The Ghost Footballer   written by Priyanka Banerjee, West Bengal (India)     When Rajiyappa died he was ‘only’ ninety-five. His wife was remorseful and she said that it was too early to go. Rajiyappa loved to play football from his childhood; but unfortunately he was not a good player and no one wanted to take him in the team. He wanted to be a footballer of “Gajendra”, which was the name of the village as well as the local football team and also wanted to win many trophies. His dream remained intangible. Consequently Rajiyappa stopped going to the football ground. He used to climb a tree which was far from the football ground and from there he watched football matches.  Days passed. Rajiyappa grew up and he tried to get chance in the college football team; but again he failed. Rajiyappa lost all his hope. After a few years Rajiyappa got married. Days passed. Rajiyappa never missed a single football match of his locality. His love for football remained unimpaired....

Fairy-deary

Fairy-deary Written by Priyanka Banerjee, West Bengal (India)    Once upon a time there lived seven fairies. They used to serve the Wasp-King who was very cruel. The King was very strong and seven times bigger than the fairies and whenever the fairies made any mistake, they were stung by the evil Wasp-King. They travelled throughout the kingdom and reported everything to the King. They were afraid of the King and remained sad as the King made each of them wear a thin  headband by which all of them were under the spell of the King and was bound to do whatever the King asked them to do.  One day the King ordered his fairies to find a land where everything was made of gold- the trees, the fruits, the houses, the grasses everything. The fairies started to find that unknown Land of Gold. They were quite sure that they could not execute this impossible task and the Wasp King would punish them. When the sun was touching the horizon, the fairies sat on a cloud. They were ...

"AS YOU SOW, SO SHALL YOU REAP" Short Story in English

AS YOU SOW, SO SHALL YOU REAP One night, three thieves stole a lot of money from a rich man’s house. They put the money in a bag and went to the forest. They felt very hungry. So, one of them went to a nearby village to buy food. The other two remained in the forest to take care of the bag of money. The thief that went for food had an evil idea. He ate his food at a hotel. Then he bought food for his two mates in the forest. He mixed a strong poison with the food. He thought, “Those two will eat this poisoned food and die. Then I will get all the money for myself.” Meanwhile, the two wicked men in the forest decided to kill their mate on return. They thought that they would divide the money between the two of them. All the three wicked men carried out their cruel plans. The thief who wanted all the money for himself came to the forest with the poisoned food. The two men in the forest hit him and killed him. Then they ate the poisoned food and died. Thus, these evil people met with an e...