Skip to main content

"A BIRD IN A CAGE" An English Story in Short

"A BIRD IN A CAGE" An English Story in Short

learning English by story

One day, when I was a young bird, my life completely changed. I do not know how long ago it was, but I still remember flying through the sky looking down at the green forest below. 

All of a sudden, while I was looking for food, everything went black. 

I crashed into something soft and was unable to move. I struggled to get loose, but I was not able to get free. I was put into a box. The walls were very hard, and I did not have much room to move. I hit the walls with my wings and yelled for help. After a while, since no one came to help me, I just gave up. 

Inside the box, I found some water and food to eat. I do not know how long I was in the box. 

Suddenly, the box opened and a bright light blinded me. I dropped to the ground. I felt the warmth of the sun on my back. It took a minute for my eyes to adjust to the light. When I was able to see, I looked around. I was FREE! 

I stretched my wings and waved them against the air. It felt so good to flap my wings and walk around. I must have been in that box for a long time because my wings were very weak.

 I began to explore. This place was so different. The ground was hard. It was not green. It was brown. Above me, I could not see any trees. 

As I looked around, I saw birds everywhere. I had no idea what kind of birds they were. I had never seen any of these birds before. There were blue birds, yellow birds, green birds and red birds, and they were all looking at me!

I flew around looking for a place to land so I could relax. Something was over the top of where I was, so I was unable to escape.

 I flew in circles looking for a place to rest and then I saw a small hole in a black box. I landed on the branch outside. When I put my head inside the hole, something bit me.
 
I said, “Ouch!” and then I jumped back. 

When I tried to go inside again, the same thing happened.

 A black bird popped out.
 
She yelled at me, “Leave me alone, can’t you see I’m trying to take care of my family! They’re taking a nap. Leave us alone!” 

I decided this was not a safe place, so I flew to the other side where I tried to hide in a corner. I found a place to land, but I was hanging upside down from the covering. 

Finally, I saw a place where I could rest. 

A big yellow bird flew over and sat next to me. 
“Hello, my name is Tiki, what is your name?” asked the bird. 

“Uh… Uh… um… I don’t know, I don’t think I have a name,” I replied. 

The other birds began to laugh.

“You don’t have a name? Ha ha ha, now that’s new!” said one of the larger birds laughing so hard he could hardly speak. 

An older bird flew over and sat on my other side. He looked at me from beak to tail. 

“I think we’ll call him Newbie,” he stated to the others. They all laughed. Then he flew away. 
I thought to myself, “Hm…. Newbie, sounds OK to me.” 

So, from that day on, my name was Newbie. 
I found out they called this place a zoo. It is a place where many animals live so humans can come to laugh and stare at them.
 
I like the children. They are fun. They like to come to our house and giggle.

They threw food at us. I found if I flew from one end of the cage to the other, the people would go “ooh” and “ah”. 

Sometimes, it would rain for many days. I hated it when it rained. 

In the forest, I could hide under a tree to keep dry, but in this place, when it rained I got all wet. There was no place to hide from the rain.
 
After the rain stopped, the sun would come out. It was so bright and hot it dried my feathers quickly, but then I was uncomfortable from the heat, because I did not have any shade. 

I do not know how long I had been in the zoo, when one day, I decided to stay on the ground to look for food. Suddenly, the gate to our home opened. A human came inside, and I knew what this meant! Every time a human came inside, one of my friends disappeared. I jumped up to fly away, but I was caught. I knew this feeling. Once again I was trapped. 

I found myself in a dark place and could not move. “What now?” I thought to myself. 

The box moved up and down. I tried to keep from hitting the sides of the box, but I bounced up and down like a toy. 

Finally the bouncing stopped. Then it got very quiet. I waited to see what would happen next. 

Suddenly there was a bright light. 

As I was gently dropped to the ground, I rolled over and got onto my feet. I spread my wings and flapped them to get rid of the stiffness. I looked around. I was in a very different place, and I was alone. I was in a very small cage. I looked up and saw a place to sit, so I jumped up to get a better view. 

Just then, there was a face in front of me. It was one of those small humans. I did not have enough room to fly away, so I just sat there and stared back at him. I do not know how long this lasted. Then I heard a strange noise. 

“Hay - low, Hay – low, Hay – low, Hay – low”, the small child said over and over again. I had nothing better to do, so I sat there and watched the small person who was making the strange noise. 

This went on for many days. He kept coming to the cage and making that strange noise, “Hay - low, Hay – low, Hay – low, Hay – low”. 

He would say it over and over and over again. Finally, I got mad. I did not want to hear that sound anymore so I yelled, “Hay – low!” 

The small child stopped making the noise. He began to laugh at me. He was just like the kids at the zoo. Then he gave me some food. 

The next day he came back. He started making that noise again, “Hay - low, Hay – low, Hay – low, Hay – low”.

 I got fed up with the noise. Once again I blurted out, “Hay – low!” 

He stopped. 

I found out if I said, “Hay – low” he would stop. 
Then he would give me some food. This became our game. Then he started making other noises. 
Just like before, I found out that if I repeated the noise he would give me a treat. I liked the treats, so I learned many new words. The small human and I became good friends.

subscribe inflame story website for more English motivational short stories with moral

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ghost Footballer

The Ghost Footballer   written by Priyanka Banerjee, West Bengal (India)     When Rajiyappa died he was ‘only’ ninety-five. His wife was remorseful and she said that it was too early to go. Rajiyappa loved to play football from his childhood; but unfortunately he was not a good player and no one wanted to take him in the team. He wanted to be a footballer of “Gajendra”, which was the name of the village as well as the local football team and also wanted to win many trophies. His dream remained intangible. Consequently Rajiyappa stopped going to the football ground. He used to climb a tree which was far from the football ground and from there he watched football matches.  Days passed. Rajiyappa grew up and he tried to get chance in the college football team; but again he failed. Rajiyappa lost all his hope. After a few years Rajiyappa got married. Days passed. Rajiyappa never missed a single football match of his locality. His love for football remained unimpaired....

Fairy-deary

Fairy-deary Written by Priyanka Banerjee, West Bengal (India)    Once upon a time there lived seven fairies. They used to serve the Wasp-King who was very cruel. The King was very strong and seven times bigger than the fairies and whenever the fairies made any mistake, they were stung by the evil Wasp-King. They travelled throughout the kingdom and reported everything to the King. They were afraid of the King and remained sad as the King made each of them wear a thin  headband by which all of them were under the spell of the King and was bound to do whatever the King asked them to do.  One day the King ordered his fairies to find a land where everything was made of gold- the trees, the fruits, the houses, the grasses everything. The fairies started to find that unknown Land of Gold. They were quite sure that they could not execute this impossible task and the Wasp King would punish them. When the sun was touching the horizon, the fairies sat on a cloud. They were ...

"AS YOU SOW, SO SHALL YOU REAP" Short Story in English

AS YOU SOW, SO SHALL YOU REAP One night, three thieves stole a lot of money from a rich man’s house. They put the money in a bag and went to the forest. They felt very hungry. So, one of them went to a nearby village to buy food. The other two remained in the forest to take care of the bag of money. The thief that went for food had an evil idea. He ate his food at a hotel. Then he bought food for his two mates in the forest. He mixed a strong poison with the food. He thought, “Those two will eat this poisoned food and die. Then I will get all the money for myself.” Meanwhile, the two wicked men in the forest decided to kill their mate on return. They thought that they would divide the money between the two of them. All the three wicked men carried out their cruel plans. The thief who wanted all the money for himself came to the forest with the poisoned food. The two men in the forest hit him and killed him. Then they ate the poisoned food and died. Thus, these evil people met with an e...